Computer Science

Current Students


Student Affairs Officer

Jessica Stoller
2063 Kemper Hall
(530) 752-7224

Graduate Advisors

To schedule an appointment with an advisor, please email the advisor directly.

Matt Farrens

Dipak Ghosal

Patrice Koehl



For deadlines, see the Office of Graduate Studies’ calendar.



Forms and information materials can be found at the Office of Graduate Studies’ website.






Frequently Asked Questions

Master’s– and PhD-specific information are available on their respective pages.



How do I get a CRN number?

A CRN is a Course Registration Number. CRNs for most courses can be found on Schedule Builder or the Class Search Tool. For ECS 289 special topics courses, see the schedules page. CRNs for ECS 299 research units are sent out through the GGCS listserve during registration times and at the beginning of the quarter.

How do I get a PTA for a class?

The first step is to contact your professor to request PTA consideration. If your professor agrees, they must send an email to Melinda Meeker at Next, go to the department office. Melinda can assist you.

How do I reserve a room?

To reserve a room, please go to COWS. When reserving a room, make sure to do the following:

  • Make sure that the room is ours before attempting to reserve it.
    • For undergraduate classes, office hours are held only in 53 and 55 Kemper.
    • For graduate classes, office hours are held only in 3106 Kemper.
    • For other rooms, check with Melinda first before reserving if you are unsure who the room belongs to.
  • Give an appropriate title and description to your request.
    • Requests may be denied if their purpose cannot be determined.
  • For Event Type, choose COE Meeting.
  • For Categories, choose CS.
  • Leave an appropriate note for the approver, Melinda, if your request needs one.
  • Double check the hours if your event repeats from week to week.
    • The start and end date and time should be for the first meeting only.
    • For repeats, use the Event Repeats section to specify how long it repeats.
    • Your request will be denied if the hours are incorrect.

I have a hold on my registration, what should I do?

There are various reasons you could have a hold on your registration. Please see Jessica Stoller for assistance with this.

I have payroll questions, who do I talk to?

Please see Jane Ryan for answers to payroll questions.

I need a key, who do I talk to?

If you need a key, please see Melinda Meeker in 2063 Kemper Hall.

I would like to be a TA, what is the process?

Teaching Assistant positions are limited and competitive. They are open to all graduate students, but subject to the rules and selection procedure outlined in the Graduate Studies Guidelines.

TA selections are made on a quarterly basis. A month and a half prior to each quarter, an application is sent via email to all CS graduate students. If a student is selected for a TA position, they are notified via email before the quarter begins.

As a TA in the Computer Science Department, you must take ECS 390: The Teaching of Computer Science. If you are a new TA, you must also attend the Center for Educational Effectiveness’ TA Orientation. It is offered once a year in the fall.

If you are an international student, you must have a passing score on the TOEFL, IELTS, TOEP, or SPEAK tests in order to be a TA. See International and Academic English’s website for more information.

Students can contact Jessica Stoller via email for additional questions regarding TAships.

Why, when, and how should I become a California resident?

Students who are not California residents must pay non-resident tuition. To become a California resident, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident. You should start this process as soon as possible after you arrive at UC Davis. Please contact the Office of the University Registrar for assistance with forms, and to start the process to establish California residency for tuition purposes.

[back to FAQs]