If you are requesting a PTA for undergraduate-level (000-199) classes, continue reading. For graduate-level (200+) classes, see this document.
The Department of Computer Science cannot guarantee you a seat in the class if you are on the waitlist, so please find a backup plan as soon as possible. Whenever possible our department tries to expand the capacity of the class, but we are often limited by classroom space and TA and instructor resources. Your instructor will keep you informed about any developments related to enrollment. If expansion is not possible, your only way to get off of the waitlist is if enrolled students drop the course. Please do not request a PTA number from your instructor, advising staff, or peer advisors without completely reading the list below. PTA numbers are only issued for extenuating circumstances related to graduation, and the CS Department cannot guarantee a PTA to students even if they meet the criteria below. PTAs may be limited due to room capacity, TA/instructor resources, and/or the educational integrity of the course.
- PTA numbers will only be issued after the 10th day of instruction (drop deadline for ECS courses).
- CS/CSE students may request PTAs for core, required courses (not elective courses) if they have filed for graduation or the course is not offered again before their expected graduation date.
- The request for a PTA number will only be considered if students can provide documentation of their extenuating circumstance related to graduation, and even so may not be granted. The only appropriate documentation will be an email from the student’s major advisor confirming that the student has no other options.
A PTA will only be given if you meet the above criteria and after you have joined the waitlist. After the 10-day drop (5-day drop for summer session), please contact the instructor and cc email@example.com. Explain the circumstances and provide any necessary documentation. A PTA will only be given once the information has been verified, we have determined there is physical space in the classroom, and the instructor has approved the PTA.
If you do not follow the above instructions, you will not receive a PTA.
Below are NOT acceptable reasons to issue a PTA number:
- A change of major
- Classes dropped due to non-payment of fees
- Classes dropped accidentally
- Completion of degree requirements for institutions other than UC Davis
- Time conflicts with other classes (unless you receive an exception from your instructors, the course does not have a wait list, and the enrollment max is not at room capacity)
- Missing Pass 1 registration
- The class is listed on your academic plan for the current quarter
- Completing a Minor
- Completing the Major (if you have other opportunities to take the course and it does not delay your graduation beyond the usual graduation timeline such as attempting early graduation)
- Elective course for completing a Major (if you have other options/opportunities to take the course)
- Completing CS/CSE classes for other university requirements
- Circumventing course registration restrictions (ex. Pass 1 registration restricted to CS/CSE majors)
- This course is recommended for a job, internship, research position, or admission to a graduate program
- To maintain full-time status and/or receive financial aid
- To meet the minimum progress requirement
- To repeat a failed course
PTAs will not be given to students joining the waitlist AFTER the first day of instruction.