Master’s– and PhD-specific information are available on their respective pages.


Degree Requirements

Undergraduate Proficiency Requirements


Tuition and Financial Aid

International Students and California Residency

Academic Student Employees (ASEs)

GSRs and Payroll

Fee Waivers

Rooms and Keys


Advising Answers

I have an academic question. Who do I talk to?

If you have an academic question, first talk to your research advisor. You can also schedule an appointment with a graduate advisor by using their email address.

I have a non-academic question. Who do I talk to?

If you have a non-academic question, you can talk to the graduate student service advisors in 2063 Kemper Hall, or via email.

I need to talk to one of the graduate student service advisors. How do I make an appointment?

You can either go to their drop-in hours or make an appointment. Their hours and how to make an appointment are listed on the Advisor Hours and Contacts page.

What is the graduate progress report? How do I complete it?

The graduate progress report helps graduate students understand where they are in terms of completing their degree requirements, as well as their progress in the program. This report is required of all students within the department. Instructions on how to complete the yearly progress report will be sent to students every Winter Quarter.

[back to FAQs]

Degree Requirements Answers

What do I need to do to get my degree?

See the relevant questions on the Master’s and PhD students pages for information on how to get your degree.

What are the core areas?

The core areas are described on the Master’s and PhD degree requirements pages. The core areas are ArchitectureSystemsTheory, and Applications. MS students must satisfy the requirement for three of the four areas. PhD students must satisfy the requirement in all four areas. See the relevant degree requirement page on how to satisfy a core area, and what classes fall in each area.

I still need to take courses to finish some of the core areas. What should I do?

Look at the Master’s and PhD degree requirements pages for options for each core area you need to satisfy. You can look at the course schedules page for classes that are planned to be offered this year.

I took classes at another institution that I want to get credit for. What is the process?

Please ask the graduate student service advisors for the Evaluation of Graduate Coursework Taken at Another Institution form. On the form, you will need to include the grade you received in the course, along with a course description. When complete, return the form to the graduate student service advisors. They will submit the form to the Graduate Advisor and email you the result.

[back to FAQs]

Undergraduate Proficiency Requirements Answers

What are the undergraduate proficiency requirements?

The undergraduate proficiency requirements are courses in four fundamental areas of computer science, and mathematics. These requirements are described on the Master’s and PhD degree requirements pages. Students must complete all proficiency requirements before graduating.

How do I obtain the undergraduate proficiency requirements form? How do I submit it?

The undergraduate proficiency requirements form will be sent out to all students in Fall Quarter through the GGCS listserve. Follow the instructions in the email to submit the form. Your results will be emailed back to you after the Graduate Advisor has reviewed your form.

I still need to finish some of my undergraduate proficiency requirements. What should I do?

The classes at UC Davis that fulfill the undergraduate proficiency requirements are listed on the Master’s and PhD degree requirements pages. You may take either the upper division (100-199) or graduate (200-299) level course to fulfill the requirement. See the table below for graduate level course options. If you are unsure if a course fulfills the requirement, see the graduate student service advisors.

Requirement Undergraduate Course (choose one) Graduate Course (choose one)
Computer Architecture ECS 154A ECS 201A
Operating Systems ECS 150 ECS 251
Programming Languages ECS 140A ECS 240
Theoretical Foundations ECS 120; ECS 122A ECS 220; ECS 222A
Probability ECS 132; MAT 135A; STA 131A MAT 235A; STA 200A
Mathematical Foundations Most mathematics (MAT) or statistics (STA) courses numbered between 100-199 ECS 230; most mathematics (MAT) or statistics (STA) courses numbered between 200-299

How do I update my undergraduate proficiency requirements form?

If you have an update for your form, follow the submission instructions from your previous form to resubmit it. Note that you only need to resubmit your form if you are updating your form to change a class that was denied. If you take the class you listed originally on the form, you do not need to send in an update.

[back to FAQs]

Registration Answers

How do I register for classes?

Students use Schedule Builder to register for classes. If you need help using Schedule Builder, look at the Using Schedule Builder PDF on the schedules page, or look at the Help tab within Schedule Builder.

How do I get a CRN number?

A CRN is a Course Registration Number. CRNs for most courses can be found on Schedule Builder or the Class Search Tool. You do not need to know the CRN for a class before registering for it, except for the special cases listed below.

  • For ECS 289 special topics courses, see the schedules page.
  • For ECS 299 research units, CRNs are sent out through the GGCS listserve during registration times and at the beginning of the quarter.
  • For classes with hidden CRNs offered by other departments, check the department’s website, or ask the department directly.

How do I get a PTA for a class?

PTAs are only given for specific reasons. They are not given solely because the class is full. If the class is full, stay on the waitlist for the class. People may drop or the class may be expanded.

Read this document for information on PTAs for graduate classes.

I have a hold on my registration. What should I do?

There are various reasons you could have a hold on your registration. Please see the graduate student service advisors in person for assistance with this.

[back to FAQs]

Tuition and Financial Aid Answers

How much is tuition per quarter?

Budget and Institutional Analysis publishes tuition and fees for a given academic year on their website.

When do I need to pay tuition by?

The final fee deadline for graduate students is posted on the Office of the University Registrar’s website. It is typically in the eighth week of the quarter.

How do I get financial aid?

See Financial Aid and Scholarships’ website on how to get financial aid as a graduate student.

What is a fellowship? How do I get one?

Fellowships are provided to graduate studies by UC Davis or outside agencies on the basis of scholarship and promise of outstanding academic and professional contribution. There are two types of fellowships: internal to UC Davis, and external agencies such as the National Science Foundation (NSF), Department of Energy (DoE), and so on. For more information, see Graduate Studies’ pages on internal and external fellowships.

[back to FAQs]

International Students and California Residency Answers

I’m an international student. Where do I get help?

Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS) provides support for all international students, including visas, international travel, and so on.

Why, when, and how should I become a California resident?

Students who are not California residents must pay non-resident tuition. To become a California resident, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident. You should start this process as soon as possible after you arrive at UC Davis. Please contact the Office of the University Registrar for assistance with forms, and to start the process to establish California residency for tuition purposes.

[back to FAQs]

Academic Student Employees (ASEs) Answers

What is an ASE?

An academic student employee (ASE) refers to students employed in the Teaching Assistant, Reader, Tutor, and Associate In _ titles. For more information, see Graduate Studies’ website.

I would like to be a TA. What is the process?

Teaching Assistant positions are limited and competitive. They are open to all graduate students, but subject to the rules and selection procedure outlined in the Graduate Studies Guidelines.

TA selections are made on a quarterly basis. A month and a half prior to each quarter, an application is sent via email to all CS graduate students. If a student is selected for a TA position, they are notified via email before the quarter begins.

As a TA in the Department of Computer Science, you must take ECS 390: The Teaching of Computer Science. If you are a new TA, you must also attend the Center for Educational Effectiveness’ TA Orientation. It is offered once a year in the fall.

It is a University policy that if a TA does not have a degree from an English speaking institution, to qualify to be a TA, he or she must have scored a 26 or higher on the Speaking section of the TOEFL exam, or an 8.0 on the Speaking section of the IELTS. If not, the TA must have a Pass score on the SPEAK or TOEP test. See International and Academic English’s website for more information.

Students can contact the graduate student service advisors via email for additional questions regarding TAships.

Are there any resources available for TAs?

See the resources for TAs page for a list of resources available to TAs.

What is a reader? How do I become one?

Readers are employed for the ability to render diverse services as a “course assistant,” which will normally include the grading of student papers and examinations. A Reader will not be given the responsibilities customarily accorded a Teaching Assistant. Readers are paid hourly, and are eligible for fee waivers.

Requests for readers for a class will be sent out before the quarter starts. Not all classes will require a reader.

[back to FAQs]

GSRs and Payroll Answers

What is a GSR?

A Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) is a graduate student who performs research related to the student’s degree program, in an academic department or research unit under the direction of a faculty member or authorized principal investigator. PhD students are usually funded through GSR positions. Though uncommon, Master’s students may also be a GSR.

I would like to be a GSR. What is the process?

GSR positions are provided by faculty members to the students they advise, if funding is available. Talk to your research advisor if you are interested. Not all advisors will have available funding.

I have payroll questions. Who do I talk to?

Please see Jane Ryan in 3078 Kemper Hall for answers to payroll questions.

[back to FAQs]

Fee Waivers Answers

What is a fee waiver? How do I get one?

Fee waivers provide a waiver of tuition and certain fees for a quarter. GSRs and ASEs are both eligible for fee waivers. While a GSR fee waiver covers all fees, an ASE fee waiver does not. For more information about fee waivers, see Graduate Studies’ website.

Does a fee waiver cover health insurance?

A fee waiver covers UC SHIP. See Graduate Studies’ website for more information about what a GSR or ASE fee waiver covers.

Note that if UC SHIP is waived, the money that would have been used for SHIP is not given to the student.

I’m an international student. Does a fee waiver cover nonresident supplemental tuition?

For the Department of Computer Science, GSR and ASE fee waivers cover nonresident supplemental tuition (NRST) for PhD students. NRST is not covered for Master’s students.

Why hasn’t my fee waiver shown up on myBill?

Fee waivers take some time to show up in myBill. If your has not shown up, wait until the third week of the quarter. If it still has not shown up by the third week of the quarter, contact the graduate student service advisors.

[back to FAQs]

Rooms and Keys Answers

How do I reserve a room for my office hours or event?

To reserve a room, please go to COWS. When reserving a room, make sure to do the following:

  • Make sure that the room is ours and free before attempting to reserve it.
    • 53, 55, 3052, and 3106 Kemper are available for TAs to use for office hours and interactive grading.
    • Only one TA may book a time slot in those rooms at a time.
    • You may only book the TA rooms in blocks of two hours.
      • There must be at least an hour break between any two of your reservations.
      • If you attempt to circumvent this rule, all your reservations will be cancelled.
    • For other rooms, check with Melinda first before reserving if you are unsure who the room belongs to.
  • Give an appropriate title and description to your request.
    • Requests may be denied if their purpose cannot be determined.
  • For Event Type, choose COE Meeting.
  • For Categories, choose CS.
  • Leave an appropriate note for the approver, Melinda, if your request needs one.
  • Double check the hours if your event repeats from week to week.
    • The start and end date and time should be for the first meeting only.
    • For repeats, use the Event Repeats section to specify how long it repeats.
    • Your request will be denied if the hours are incorrect.

I need a key. Who do I talk to?

If you need a key, please see Melinda Meeker in 2063 Kemper Hall.

[back to FAQs]