In addition to these Frequently Asked Questions, other general information is provided on the Frequently Asked Questions sheet. If you have questions that are not answered on this page, you may also contact

Credit by Examination

Q: If I am unable to enroll in a course, may I take it by exam?

In most cases taking an ECS course through credit by examination will not be approved, especially for courses where programming or other projects are an integral part of the learning experience and often not adequately tested on exams.

Taking a course through credit by examination requires the approval of the instructor – instructors are NOT obligated to administer a course-by-exam and have the option of refusing – as well as the department and Registrar with final approval required from the dean of your college.

Approval is granted in very few cases and, if approved, you must meet the following conditions (the complete list of conditions can be found in the General Catalog):

  • Be a registered student and in good academic standing
  • Must already know the course material (knowledge may NOT be gained by attending the course, doing the work and then taking the final)
  • May not duplicate any previously earned credit
  • May not be used to repeat a course, regardless of the grade previously received
  • The final grade results, regardless of outcome, are posted on your transcript

You may obtain the petition ($5 fee) and a complete listing of the conditions from the Office of the University Registrar.

CS Major

Q: Do I need to take one of the upper division statistics classes or can I still take STA 32?

It depends on the year you matriculated to UC Davis – the year you started community college (for transfers) or the year you started at UC Davis as a freshman.

Students in the College of Letters and Science are eligible to use any major requirements from the year they matriculated to now. As such, students who matriculated before Fall 2014 are eligible to use the 2013 – 2014 major requirements, and can take STA 32. Taking one of the upper division statistics classes (ECS 132, MAT 135A, STA 131A) after taking STA 32 means that the upper division statistics class will count for a computer science elective. Said students also have the option of using the 2016 – 2017 major requirements, forego taking STA 32, and take one of the upper division statistics classes as a core class, not as an elective.

Students who matriculated in or after Fall 2014 are not eligible to use the 2013 – 2014 major requirements, and must take one of the upper division statistics classes.

Q: May I take a core or elective ECS class Passed / Not Passed (P/NP)?

There are no restrictions on which classes can be taken P/NP. Any class – ECS classes, major requirements, GEs – can be taken P/NP. The only restrictions on P/NP are how many units can be taken P/NP. For more information, see the P/NP page for CS majors.

CSE Major

Q: Do I need to take EEC 180A?

CSE majors no longer need to take EEC 180A. EEC 180A is now an elective; the number of electives required for CSE students is four classes and 15 units minimum. See the 2016 – 2017 major requirements for other possible electives.

Students that have already taken EEC 180A have satisfied one of the four electives required. Those students only need to take three other electives.

Q: May I take a class Passed / Not Passed (P/NP)?

With few exceptions, students in the College of Engineering may not take classes P/NP; all classes must be taken for a letter grade. For more information, see the P/NP page for CSE majors.

ECS 192/199

Please see the ECS 192 / 199 Procedures page.


Q: I just changed majors to CS or CSE. How do I get onto the Department’s listserv?

The listserv is updated at the start of each quarter. If you switched into CS or CSE in the middle of a quarter, you will be added the quarter following.

Mandatory Advising

Please see the Advising Holds information sheet.


For more information, see the Screening for Prerequisites page.

Q: May I enroll in an ECS course even though I have not completed the prerequisite?

It is essential that you’ve completed the stated prerequisite for a given ECS course before attempting the course.

Academic Senate policy states instructors have the authority to restrict enrollment to students who have completed the prerequisites. Thus instructors have the right to check whether or not students enrolled in the course have satisfied the prerequisite. If you haven’t satisfied the prerequisite, the instructor may drop you from the class. Re-adding a class after an instructor has dropped you from the class may be reported to Student Judicial Affairs.

University Extension

Q: May University Extension students enroll in ECS courses as concurrent (Open Campus) students?

It is unlikely that concurrent students will be allowed to enroll in ECS courses due to the high enrollment demands for ECS courses. University policy requires that the Department enroll all regularly enrolled UC Davis students first; consequently, concurrent students have last enrollment priority.

Concurrent enrollment requires the department Chair’s (or designee) signature and department stamp.